If you are fortunate enough to come across the woman of your dreams in the Land of Smiles and would be eager to take the next big step-marrying her and bringing her back to the United States-then you will need to file an application for a K-1 Visa.
The K-1 Visa enables you, as an American citizen to take your Thai fiancee to the United States with the intention of getting married there. This type of visa is valid for 90 days upon your fiancee’s arrival in the United States and is generally the preferred choice among the US Visas. canada pr process
ADVANTAGES OF THE K-1 VISA
The K-1 Visa usually involves a shorter processing time than its other US Visa counterparts, taking only an average of 4-6 months from the date of filing the application. With a K-1 Visa, your Thai fiancee will also be able to apply for a Work Permit in the United States by filing a Form I-765. Moreover, your fiancee’s unmarried children under the age of 21 can also be brought to the United States with the K-2 Derivative Visa, which will be issued at the same time as the K-1 Visa is approved.
K-1 VISA BASIC REQUIREMENTS
In order to be able to apply for a K1 Visa, you should be able to meet the following standard requirements:
1. You must be a United States citizen
2. You must have met your Thai fiancee at least once during the last two years. Further evidence of your romantic relationship, such as emails, phone calls, online chat transcripts, photos, etc will be required to be submitted as part of the application as well.
3. You and your Thai fiancee must be able to pass a criminal record check
4. Your Thai fiancee must be able to pass a medical exam
5. You and your Thai fiancee must both be single and free to marry
6. You must be able to meet the financial requirements of the K-1 Visa application, which is designated at 125% of the poverty line.
7. You must have the intention of marrying your Thai fiancee within 90 days upon her arrival in the United States.
WHY HIRE A THAI LAW FIRM?
Filing and processing the application for a K-1 Visa will entail a lot of paperwork, time, and effort liaising with legal authorities both in the USA and in Thailand. Therefore, it is advisable to engage the services of a reputable Thai law firm to assist you with your K-1 Visa application. Apart from providing you with legal advice that will prove helpful to you as you proceed with your application, your Thai fiancee will also benefit greatly from retaining the services of a law firm in Thailand as the firm can coordinate with her regarding additional requirements as well as train her for her upcoming visa interview.